Friday, January 4, 2013

Looking Back

As the holidays, the semester, and this project come to a close I have spent much time reflecting on what has happened over the past days, weeks, and months. I have found that I have learned very much in general, and an especially great amount about polygamy.

When I began this project in September, I never thought that I would be spending my coming months researching a topic like polygamy. Polygamy was a topic so foreign, weird, and taboo that it hardly ever even crossed my mind and initially I was a little apprehensive to commit to studying its ins and outs for a grade, however; I am very happy that I did.

In this portion of the project I chose to look at the change in the way that society views polygamy and found some very interesting results. I think the most interesting of them all revolving around the popular television series "Big Love." In my research, I found that the series "Big Love," which focuses on a polygamous family, was significantly more popular in regions of the United States that were Liberal rather than those that were conservative. I think the drastic difference in viewer ratings across the country shows the great diversity of opinion when it comes to this topic.This polarity of opinion in the tv series ratings, mirrors the majority of information I found while researching.

Overall, I have found that polygamy is, in fact, a foreign, weird, and taboo subject to most people, but I have also found that I have come to an understanding of those who choose to partake in its lifestyle, and for that I am both surprised and grateful.

1 comment: